Hack Week: Day 5 (Friday) – The last day

Share Button

Well, today was the last day of Hack Week, but unfortunately I wasn’t able to squish the remaining 20% unconverted resource files like I planned to do yesterday. I squished only 5%. This brings my conversion success rate from yesterday’s 80% to 85%. I’m pretty happy with this result, however, considering that some of those resource files I tried to convert are not even dialog resource files.

Here is what I did today:

  • Fixed incorrect expansion of preprocessing macros. It just didn’t do the right thing when performing recursive macro expansion. This time I really got it right, but it consumed the majority of today’s hacking time. :-(
  • Reworked my expression evaluation code to fully support the reverse Polish notation (RPN). The absence of this feature caused a parse failure on some files because the position and the size of some widgets are given as a mathematical expression (e.g. (24 + 10)/2) instead of a single number. I got the RPN parser to work, but then I realized that I could have just used Python’s builtin eval function to evaluate a whole expression in one step. Well, duh! I learned how to code the RPN builder to evaluate an expression, though, which was fun exercise.

So, this concludes this week’s Novell Hack Week event. It was certainly fun, although I couldn’t do everything I wanted to do. I’ll be back to my normal hacking activities on next Monday.

About Kohei Yoshida

LibreOffice hacker, spreadsheet nerd, and machine learning beginner.
This entry was posted in and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.